Story by B.G. Brooks, Contributing Editor,


DENVER – The unbeaten University of Colorado women’s basketball team shook off a lethargic start, took control with an 8-0 run and never looked back in dispatching the University of Denver 83-63 here Tuesday night.


Now the Buffaloes (8-0) can look ahead. Finally, they can focus on their biggest non-conference game – a Friday night date with No. 8 Louisville at the Coors Events Center. The Cardinals are 9-1, with their lone loss by one point (48-47) to archrival Kentucky.

In winning for only the second time in Denver against the Pioneers, the Buffs got a season-high 19 points from Brittany Wilson and 14 points and 11 rebounds from Chucky Jeffery. Leading scorer Arielle Roberson, who entered the game with a 17.3-point average, added 11.

DU defeated CU 70-69 in their most recent Magness Arena matchup on Nov. 16, 2010. The Buffs lead the series 6-2 and won for the third time this season against a Front Range opponent. Before making the trip down I-25 South, CU had beaten Wyoming (68-59) and Colorado State (72-46) in Boulder.


Tuesday’s first half produced 11 lead changes, but they all occurred in the first 10 minutes. DU (4-5) took advantage of CU’s sluggish start to go ahead by as many as five points (13-8) before the visitors roused themselves.


Finally focused, the Buffs made an 18-17 deficit their last of the game. They went on an 8-0 run, getting baskets from Jamee Swan, Roberson (her first of the game), Jeffery and Brittany Wilson on a fast-break assist from Jeffery to go up 25-18 with 6:22 before intermission.


From there until the halftime buzzer, CU increased its lead to 10 on two occasions and led 37-27 at the break. The Buffs got 12 first-half points from Brittany Wilson and nine from Jeffery. Morgan Van Riper-Rose kept the Pioneers close with 13, while none of her teammates managed more than four first-half points. She finished with a career-high 28.


CU shot 41.7 percent (15-for-36) from the field in the opening half to DU’s 37.5 percent (9-for-24). The Buffs owned the boards (25-13) and forced 10 Pioneer turnovers that resulted in seven CU points.


CU outscored DU 9-1 to open the second half and surge ahead 46-28. The Buffs didn’t allow the Pioneers their first field goal of the last 20 minutes until the 14:07 mark. A minute later, CU went up by 23 and wouldn’t allow DU within 15 points the rest of the night.


With 7:55 remaining, Roberson was assessed CU’s first technical foul of the season. The reason: Roberson apparently touched the ball before a Pioneer player was about to throw it in bounds after a made Buffs basket. CU was up 67-44 at the time and led by as many as 26 points in the final 4 minutes.

[includeme src=”” frameborder=”0″ width=”670″ height=”300″]