Sign up for the Citizen’s Police Academy at the Boulder Police Department*
*No criminals allowed
If you’ve ever wondered what it’s really like to be a police officer, or been interested in knowing more about the day-to-day operations at the Boulder Police Department, now is the time to sign up for the upcoming Citizen’s Police Academy course.
Nearly 800 citizens have participated over the years (this is the Department’s 29th Citizen’s Police Academy), and the new session starts on Sept. 5, 2012. It’s free and open to anyone over the age of 18. The course is held over a period of 12 weeks. Students and instructors meet once a week, from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Wednesdays.
Here are a few of this session’s highlights:
- Detectives will discuss cases which have been solved, and talk about some of the ways investigations are handled;
- SWAT Team members will explain what the team does, when it’s called out, and show you some of their specialized equipment;
- Our Crime Analysts will talk about how they collect evidence at crime scenes, how various evidence is tested and how the information is used during investigations;
- The Boulder County Sheriff’s Office will give you a tour of the Boulder County Jail;
- You’ll have the opportunity to ride-along with an officer and gain some perspective about their work in the community;
- The Bomb Squad members will discuss their training and show you the equipment they use to protect them from harm;
- Learn how Dispatch Operators field 911 calls;
- Find out how records are kept, and what kind of law enforcement information is available to the public;
- And, officers who patrol Boulder will tell you about their districts and beats, and share their insights about officer safety issues.
The Citizen’s Police Academy is offered at no cost to allow community members to learn more about police operations and philosophy. Applicants should live or work in Boulder County, and be able to pass a criminal background check. To register, contact Karen MacPherson at 303-441-4325, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration is open through August 27, 2012.
A graduation ceremony will be held on Dec. 5, 2012. Graduates will be able to join the Citizen’s Police Academy Alumni Association, which schedules monthly programs and speakers who focus on law enforcement-related topics.