Posts tagged Boulder Street
Boulder police investigating body found in Boulder Creek
arly this morning, a passer-by walking along Boulder Creek in the area of 13th and Arapahoe called police to report a body in the water, near the bank.
According to a homeless man who spoke to police, he and the deceased man were drinking with a small group of transients until the early morning hours. Around 4 a.m. the group split up.
Police were not called until 6:30 this morning, when the passer-by noticed the body.
At this time, circumstances do not appear to be suspicious. The Boulder County Coroner has been notified.
The police department press release does make the connection between the street alcoholic drinking by the creek and his body being found in the creek. This is not an unusual demise for this population. To say that they are homeless or transient is misnomer according to experts who work with chronically addicted street people. They are no more transient than the student population at CU or IBMers who work in Boulder on monthly contracts. To call them homeless implies that all homeless are like this.
Some homeless are situationally homeless because of loss of job. This is seen more and more in Boulder. Many of them do not have a drinking problem. They just need and want work. Some so called homeless are mentally ill and are on the streets because they cannot cope in society, but they all don’t have alcohol problems.
Nationally, approximately 70% of “homeless population” are adult males in a dominant addiction such as alcoholism. They are homeless by choice: ie they would rather fly a sign for drinking money and stay by the creek. The other 30% are out of work people and the mentally ill.
Alcoholism is a serious problem in Boulder for the “homeless” and the employed alike
In this rare press release, it is unusual that the Boulder Police department makes a connection between this kind of death and drinking, but it is more likely than not in most homeless deaths in Boulder.
Chronically addicted males on Boulder streets account for millions of dollars spent each year in emergency services, hospital services and homeless shelter services.
Those who have information but wish to remain anonymous may contact the Northern Colorado Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or 1-800-444-3776. Tips can also be submitted through the Crime Stoppers website at www.crimeshurt.com. Those submitting tips through Crime Stoppers that lead to the arrest and filing of charges on a suspect(s) may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1,000 from Crime Stoppers.