Archive for August, 2014
That means if you frighten them them they can and will shoot to kill you. They do not have much of an in between.
So I always approach cops with this in mind. I am not stupid. I don’t ever do things to antagonize them. I never fight with them or argue with then.
They have the gun on their holster. They have the badge of authority and the entire police department, district attorneys office and local government behind them.
Cops are the wrong people to fuck with always. Many of them are stressed and overworked. They spend much of the day dealing with scumbag wife beaters, child abusers, drug addicts and alcoholics, thieves etc.
So when they run up on you in a traffic stop just know you have a wilkd lion coming up to your car and you don’t want to piss him or her off.
What to do in a traffic stop.
1. Pull over to the right immediately and stop.
2. Don’t get out of the car.
3. Put your hands up on the steering wheel and keep them there.
4. If it is night , turn your overhead light on so the officer can see your hands.
5. Don’t go fishing around for your license or registration in the glove box.
6. Sit still and wait for the cop to come to your window and wait for instructions.
7. Cops get nervous when you go to the glove box or start fishing around. They worry that you might have a gun or someone in the car has a gun .
8. Be polite. Yes sir no sir goes a long way. Don’t argue with him.
9 I have found that being polite to a police officer always helps….. If I have done something wrong in the vehicle I just admit it or say i didn’t realize and apologize. That approach will get you less point on a ticket or a warning. I almost never get stopped and when I do it is usually with a warning.
10. I am serious. I could have driven over the guys mother and he’ll give me a warning. Why. because I pose no threat.
12. Now of course I am white, middle aged and look like Rush Limbaugh so that helps… a lot. I am usually well dressed and well spoken. I don’t give off attitude.
13 I have no idea what to say to those of you who are black, Latino, or wear gangster clothes. I would take my hat off and do your best Eddie Murphy impression.
14. when I was a long haired hippie and on drugs and wearing weird clothes… believe it or not I was the guy who was cool calm and collected around cops. I was often the spokesperson. ” Yes sir. No problem here sir. thank you sir . no sir yes sir. did you want to fuck one of the girls sir cause that one there thinks your cute.” I mean , I will do anything to keep the heat off and make sure the cops are feeling non threatened. I just try to be nice to them. Cause nobody else has been all day and they appreciate it.. And that means they will go find somebody else to eat.
15. If you have somebody with you who is being agro toward the cops, you tell that person to “shut the fuck up” in no uncertain terms. You tell the cop .. “You will have no problem with us sir, I am sorry for my disrespectful friend he was smoking crack before you so caringly stopped us ” and then you make sure a friend sits on that guy or girl.
16. Now you people of color, try to dress as white as you can. And talk as white as you can. Wear Kakis and a blue oxford shirt and a red and blue stripped tie. Talk about how you love the police and hope to be a police officer next year. Smile like Chris Rock and mention church.
sorry that is how it goes. This is a white mans world. White businessmen do rule…Next come our white women and our white children. If you are rich like me and live in a rich white city like Boulder you get treated like a Lord by the cops. Then again I don’t fuck up. I am not out dealing drugs, shooting people, robbing, stealing rapping or walking the streets. I am scared shitless. But I get more points than you.
If you are black, Latino or homeless you will always be stopped by the cops in rich white Boulder or any affluent white neighborhood in America.
So how you carry yourself, what you wear and how you speak in the presence of law enforcement officers will make the difference of whether you live or die tonight.
Jann Scott has covered the police for over 20 years
by Jann Scott
Jann Scott’s Journal
from White Boulder
We are so lucky to live in Boulder. When it comes to big events, football games, demonstrations and all out riots you could not ask for a better Police Department. I am serious about this. There are those few crazy anarchist who hate all police but forget about them.
Look at any CU Buffs football game day. 50 thousand drunken fans party it up all over our city and and Boulder PD is as cool as can be. When we had Kinetics at the Res. 50,000 people would party all day and never a bit of trouble. When the Mall Crawl was in full blast in the late 80′s , 100,000 people would trash the city and Boulder PD maintained.
In 1995, 96 and 97 CU students rioted for fun, nearly burned the hill down and injured 60 Boulder Police officers. 3 injuries were career ending with zero injuries to students. Unbelievable. Then Police Chief Tom Koby called the 1997 riots so extreme that use of deadly force was required but he would not allow it. Students were trying to kill police officers. It was a student riot all over they wanted to get drunk and burn the hill. Seriously, that is what it was about.
The college kids really went off the deep end that year with alcohol. The tried to burn buildings down, stoned the police, set fires all over the hill, threw molotov cocktails at fire fighters. I was there. It was not funny.
Boulder PD attends weekly protests all over the city by leftist groups and they do a fine job of letting things be.
Of course they have decades of experience and lots of training. In the late 60′s things were rough here when students shut down the city over the Vietnam War, but all and all We do well.
What is interesting is we are a community 95% white and rich by by all standards, yet we have many many civil rights protests all over the city. Some lefty white kids can be pretty Agro, but Boulder PD always holds the moral high ground.