December 6, 2013 5:51 pm by Channel 1 Networks, under , , , . 0 Comments

Boulder Fire-Rescue offers safety tips during gas outage

Xcel Energy is working to address a gas outage that is impacting a significant number of homes in parts of the city and Boulder County. Boulder Fire-Rescue is offering tips to help keep people safe during the outage.

ü  If your pilot light is out after gas service is restored and you don’t know how to re-light it, you may contact Xcel to come to your home to relight the pilot for you. Xcel is asking individuals who need assistance to call 1-800-295-4999 to provide a cell phone for crews to contact you; if you will be home when crews come by, please leave your porch light. Call a professional contractor if you don’t wish to wait for Xcel.

A gas outage hit Boulder Friday

A gas outage hit Boulder Friday

ü  If your pipes freeze, avoid using blow torches or open flames to try to heat them. Just yesterday, Dec. 5, 2013, someone caused a fire in a mobile home while using a blow torch to heat frozen pipes. Although no one was injured, the mobile home suffered extensive damage from the fire.

ü  If you have neighbors who are elderly or who are physically/mentally challenged, please check on them to make sure they’re okay. If they are in need of medical attention, call 9-1-1.

ü  If you plan to  use an electric space heater, consider the following precautions:

·         Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture and bedding.

·         Make sure to keep a 3-foot “kid-free zone” around space heaters and fires.

·         Use space heaters only when you’re present in your home or business, and only while you’re awake. Never use space heaters while you sleep.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas which can be produced when a furnace or other appliances are not working properly. It can also be produced when wood-burning fireplaces are not vented properly.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas, and inhaling it can cause death. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include feeling out of breath, dizziness, nausea and headaches. If you or any of your family members experience these symptoms, leave the building immediately and call 9-1-1.

ü  Make sure to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home or business. Check the batteries regularly to ensure that it’s working properly.

ü  Don’t use a charcoal or wood grill indoors or in a garage.

ü  Never operate kerosene or propane heaters indoors without proper venting.

ü  Never use your oven to heat your home.

Emergency Contacts and Shelter Information
In case of emergency, contact 9-1-1. For other calls, the non-emergency dispatch number is 303-441-3333. To report outages, please contact Xcel directly at 1-800-895-2999.

The American Red Cross will be opening a warm shelter for people impacted by this emergency. The shelter will be available starting at 3 p.m. today and is located at Douglass Elementary School, 840 75th St. near 75th Street and Baseline Road.

–CITY–

Register | Login | News Feed